Ameraucana Roo X Leghorn Hen???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heymikey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Hoping someone can save me a year or two on breeding. Ameraucana Roo X Leghorn Hen- Anyone know if the offspring would throw a blueish egg? Would it have better production than a pure Ameraucana?

I currently sell RIR eggs and people know that I am in the process of breeding Marans and I am adding Ameraucana's. They have expressed interest in colored eggs.

No way I'm selling purebred eggs for eating. The Marans and Ameraucana's I am breeding are purely for improving the breeds but I am obviously going to have some so I had thought of maybe cross breeding from my culls in order to get various shades (pure novelty for my customers). One thing I am concerned with is laying production. I have no interest in having multiple pricing structures for eating eggs and I want to make sure that the feed/production ratios work.

Have you crossed colored eggers with production breeds?

Any idea of production numbers(yearly) for Marans, Ameraucanas? Then crosses?

Culled Maran and RIR?

Have you come up with your own high production EEgger?

Lots of questions I know....but I'm sure I'll have more.

TIA

P.S. Don't worry, I'll never let a non pure Maran or any breed for that matter off my farm. The eggers have no roos with them and the breeders have their own facilities.

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yes, it should be blue - no brown overylay to make it green.

Im not sure at all about what the breeds should lay - although the Ameraucanas should lay more than they Marans, I think. I've never had interest in producing a "high production" bird, as I dont like them. Dont like med. breeds, or sex links, RIRs, or anything. So I can't comment on that. Im in it for personality and hardiness, with a good amount of eggs.

I would say there should be no problem crossing the leghorns and Ameraucanas to get a "high production" EE. It should work, as Ameraucanas are already good layers to begin with.

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I had a pullet by a brown leghorn out of a EE hen. The pullet came out pure white with a pea comb, small petite build and layed a blue/green egg. The EE hen was a big mamma but her pullet was more of the aerodynamic build.

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I've also read that crossing a leghorn with an ameraucana will create a sex link based in leg color. That is if it is REALLY an ameraucana with slate legs not green. If the parent roo is an ameraucana then the female offsring will have dark legs. I don't know if it's true but I did read it somewhere a while ago.

5. Southchick

Southchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    MS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now this thread is miserably old, but just to keep this in as little places as possible...
    Here is one of my Pure bbs black ameraucana roo and brown leghorn hen cross. Just hatched a couple hours ago. Still fluffing out. I'm REALLY loving how much it looks just like a pure ameraucana!!! I'll be sure to add egg color when they start laying, and updated pics as they mature

6. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Here is my cross, she is a white layer with a straight comb. Her sister are broody but she keeps on laying white leghorn eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Southchick

Southchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    MS
    Which breeds did you cross (color, which one was roo?) Very good to see :)

8. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    I bought her, but her pappy is a white EE and he momma is a white leghorn.

9. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Any photos of a wheaten ameraucana roo and leghorn hen?

10. makmm

makmm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2017
    Wyoming
    I want to try this too, once my lavender Ameraucana roo takes some interest in the girls. Right now he thinks they have cooties I think:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by