1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken531, Feb 2, 2016.

1. chicken531

chicken531 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    I recently got a rooster and was told he was an ameraucana but he doesn't match any of the recognized varieties, at least I don't think he does. He has blue shanks/feet and a somewhat messy pea comb I believe. He's 1 1/2 to 2 years old. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He could be a poorly colored blue Wheaton, though I'm no expert, he does look a bit off to be pure bred.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    No, he doesn't match any of the accepted colors, so that immediately makes him an Easter Egger.

That doesn't mean he is 100% Ameraucana, or it could, but he probably is simply mis-colored. A breeder would not breed him forward for Ameraucanas.

But he is a pretty boy, and likely carries 2 blue genes so would make dandy EE's with any other hen, who would then lay green eggs.

You can determine his genetics (at least partially) by breeding and carefully watching his offspring. If his offspring all lay green eggs when he's bred to a brown layer or pale blue when he's bred to a white layer, then he carries 2 blue genes and is likely full Ameraucana.

If you get about 50% mix of green/blue and brown or plain white, then he only has 1 blue gene and not a full blooded Ameraucana.

LofMc

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pretty boy EE

5. chicken531

chicken531 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    Thank you Lady! Very helpful. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if he carries 2 blue egg genes. ;)

6. chicken531

chicken531 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to wait and see what blue genes he has :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by