Ameraucana roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by staceyc, Nov 9, 2009.

1. staceyc

staceyc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    I only got two Ameraucana "pullets," so I HATE to ask this question, but SOMEBODY is crowing at 5:30 every morning, and I don't want to finger/re-home the wrong perpetrator.

My silver Ameraucana is nearly 19 weeks old, has the biggest legs of my gang of seven, has sickle tail feathers, and pointy saddle feathers. I'm going back and forth between blaming him-her and a Barred Rock with a slightly-bigger comb, but really, both of their combs are in the range where they might be hens, and I'm thinking the fact that the Americaunas are a small-combed breed is confusing me. He-she acts the most like a roo, too ... a little standoffish and the one who stands up in the coop at night to see what I'm doing in there. And I MIGHT see little bumps where the spurs will come out on the legs, but I can't swear with absolute certainty.

[​IMG]

Help! Is this obvious to all you experts?

2. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    Deffinately your ee is a roo by looking at the hackle and saddle feathers!!!

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Yup cockadoodledoo!!!!!! Mr. EE is handsome.

4. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    He looks like a boy to me. Sorry.

5. staceyc

Jul 12, 2009
    Sigh ... OK, thanks, you guys! I can take the news ... it will just make my few blue eggs from my brown-red hen even more special to me. :)

I have a couple of prospective homes ... one the small local hatchery he came from and one a larger breeder/meat producer ... he would have a fun life before his end day there. He really is a stunning bird...the pic doesn't capture his "presence" or his beautiful iridescent green tail. If only I could train him to keep his mouth shut.

6. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    Yep, he looks like a twin to my Rupert a few weeks back. I hope you can rehome him, or put up with his crowing.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    your EE roo is almost a spitting image of one of ours..mine won't crow though.He's about 8 months old now
    Here is my guy..that green tail escapes my camera as well.Stick him on BYC I have had offers all over the country for this one but he's staying here with his flock.
    [​IMG]

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Wow! How Purdy he is! Our splash EE is "Fugly" as my kids would say! Our other is blue, pretty, but mean!

9. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Yes as others have stated, you have a beautiful Easter Egger roo(but not a Silver Ameraucana, sorry)... He'll be a real beauty after all his man feathers are done growing in. You shouldn't have a problem rehoming him if that is what you'll be doing.

10. staceyc

Jul 12, 2009
    HBuehler, that is an amazing resemblence and story about your beautiful roo. I'll swap you my crower for your non-crower? :)

CKMom, I am actually tempted to keep him, but when I talked to my two neighbors when I got the chickens and told them that I was planning to only get hens, they heaved a big sigh of relief and said "Good!," so I know they're not fans of crowing. And now that he's past his squeaky-wheel / moaning / groaning stage, he's really quite loud. That will bother my neighbors especially in the summertime, when they will likely have their windows open...I don't want to impose on them.

The owner of the small hatchery where my boy came from has said they'll find a home for him if I can't. I have a couple of other feelers out locally, but if I don't get any bites I will go ahead and post in the auction section here.

Thanks, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by