1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flocko4, May 21, 2011.

1. flocko4

flocko4 New Egg

May 21, 2011
    So I got my flock of four in late March, so they are almost two months old. It is a mixed flock and have not been worrying about any being a rooster till this morning. I opened the garage, where they currently are right now, and my Ameraucana made a sound that was crow like. She/he did this a couple of times and have never heard before. It didn't sound exactly like a rooster but enough for me to question. She/he is also the more aggresive of my flock. Any help would be appreciated, also have picture but can't figure how to post it, any help there might help the question. Thanks.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens make all kinds of noises, so that's not to say it is a rooster for sure. I've had chickens crow at 2 weeks old, though so 2 months is not too young! By 2 months you should be able to notice if it's comb is redder than the other's combs. That's usually the first sign.

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Pics please! [​IMG]

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Here's Flocko4's bird - [​IMG]

I'm thinking roo because of the red and those saddle-looking feathers near the tail...

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    it's an ee cockeral [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, boy-bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by