Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChuckGeek

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
This little one is 2 month's old. We started hearing strange "singing" at 6am, and can pretty much confirm it sounds like a rooster's crow. And the tail features look kind of ornate. Is it too early to confirm as a rooster? Or should I start looking for a new home for him. I can't have a rooster here in Phoenix, so what do most people do to find a new home? Craigslist? I just don't want someone to take him for fighting or food.

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Cute black and white Easter Egger rooster
roll.png

If you are averse to eating him, you can always try craigslist. Aim to adopt him out to a farm where he will get to have a harem of his own. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine how your adoptees will use him. Maybe try to meet them in person and get their confirmation that he will not be fought or killed for food.

Last edited:

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Any chance that a rooster can be "quiet," maybe only crowing in the morning and not that loud?

Rarely. A young cockerel might not crow at all. Often as they approach maturity (6 months and onward) their crowing will increase. Or, they will crow when they are stressed. Or when they're feeling good. Or whenever they feel like it.

ChuckGeek

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I know...I so want to keep him, but my family wants me to get rid of him, probably because they don't want to get too attached too soon. He's actually very sweet...they all get together at dusk above the coop (since they are separated from my other 3 older girls in the run) and I can pet him with no problem.
sad.png

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I always suggest waiting until 12 weeks before getting rid of a rooster, as then you can see definitive evidence (shiny hackle and saddles will be starting to come in). Unfortunately roosters often are the friendliest chicks
hmm.png

Top Bottom