Ameraucana roosters? Experienced ameraucana owners needed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PrairieChickens, Feb 7, 2015.

1. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Ok, so I have had the worst luck trying to get an ameraucana roo. My first roo was killed when he was about 8 weeks old by my dog, then when I ordered two roos to replace him, they both turned out to be females! My husband ordered two MORE roos for me for Christmas, but with my past experience, I'm anxious that they may be girls, too. They're about a month old now, so I welcome your thoughts:

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    That is really funny, I've got to say I've rarely hear anyone complain about not getting cockerels. Kudos to you. But from what they look like now they might be pullets. But I would hold out a little while longer to see, Cockerels at a certain age start to show sharp sickle feathers and a more prominent comb but I've got to say birds with a comb that's not a single are a little more of a challenge to sex.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but those two birds are looking like pullets to me, especially the one on the left.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both look like pullets to me, for now.

5. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Yeah, they're looking like pullets to me too, which is why I'm so worried. BLARGH! [​IMG]

Fingers crossed that they're just late bloomers...

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have you looked for an older rooster? There are state threads and tons of Ameraucana threads here on byc, I'm sure someone would love to have an unwanted male go to a good home. You can even try something like CL....I would have sworn no one around me raised true Ameraucana, but I put out a wanted ad and got several responses!

7. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I've thought about that. I've been a little gun-shy about adopting an adult chicken ever since I brought home a rooster that turned out to be infested with poultry lice. Luckily, I'd had the good sense to put the rooster in quarantine, but it still took months to successfully treat him and left me burned on the idea of adopting adult birds. If these two little babies turn out to be girls, though, I may just have to get over my hangup. The longer I go without a rooster, the more I lose on the investment I've already made. :p

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, you now know what to look for when buying an adult bird. Don't get rushed into making a sale, or feel you are obligated to purchase the bird just because the seller caged the bird up and met you somewhere. If the bird looks skeevy, just say no thanks and keep looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by