1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana roosters in CT (near NY), Free to great home UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mom23chicklets, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    Here's my situation. I have 3 ameraucanas (now 4 months old). I bought them as chicks from a 4H mom who had too many chicks. She got them from the UCONN Poultry program. They are gorgeous! And they are really nice to all the other 23 chicks (2 months old) that I have except for 1 buff orpington who happens to be my favorite. When I bring them bugs or treats, they all stand and wait for the hens to eat.

For some reason, all three roosters gang up on the BO and pick on her. She's never lost a feather but she screams when they bite her on the back. And she's always trying to hide from the roosters.

I would like the roosters (Monk, Willie, and CJ) to go to great homes where they will be pets and not eaten. Monk has many different colors including green, brown, red, and white. Willie is red, gold, and some blackish green. CJ is mostly white, silver, and black. They really are beautiful.

You don't have to take all three. I will try to work on learning how to post pictures. Thanks.

Ruth

P.S. Be warned that my family and I will be sad to see them go. [​IMG] I wanted to offer to the BYC folks first because I know how much you all love your chickens.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Can you ship?? I live pretty far...and well...I cant drive that far. However, I have 6 hens that need a guy. Oh, and my hens and roos, dont go to the pot...unless they are cornishx.

3. mom23chicklets

May 31, 2007
    CT
    justusnak,

I'm not sure I can take you seriously after reading your response on the Predators and Pests forum. See below.

What a shame. I wanted to believe that you would give the roosters a good home . . .

Ruth

I would process them for the freezer....no since wasteing good free dinners! I mean, you raised them, you paid for thier feed, and you deserve to eat them. I found, if you cook a rooster really slow, and I mean REALLY slow in the oven...it will be tender. We did ours at 275, smothered in butter and sage....covered tightly in foil....for about 3 hrs. yum yum yum!! I am in SE Indiana....but dont need any more Roos. LOL I have one to find a home for myself...A Cuckoo Maran...18 weeks or so. BEAUTIFULL....but if I cant find him a home...he will be tasty im sure.

I also wanted to say......I hope your daughter is ok. Poor kiddo. That can be sooo traumatizeing!

Last edited by justusnak (Today 6:59 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deb

4. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    OOH! Busted!

5. mom23chicklets

May 31, 2007
    CT
    My gorgeous roos are still available. Any takers? I will probably look to give them to a farm or Pace University if no one here is interested. Thanks.

Ruth

6. mom23chicklets

May 31, 2007
    CT
    Great news to share with you all! Pace University has an equestrian program, and they have a barn and small farm on campus. They have agreed to take my roos!

I used to take my kids to see the animals some years ago. The animals (horses, geese, ducks, chickens, goats, sheep) are all really well cared for by the students and teacher. And the best part is my family can go and see our roos from time to time!

Thanks to all for your help!

7. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    wasn't that in response to a rooster that attacked the little girl? i don't blame justusnak for her response. there's a difference between a pet rooster that's nice (which you have) and one that attacks or has a potential of attacking a young helpless child.

those roosters of yours are just coming of age at four months. they still have a potential of turning ugly...i don't think the place you adopted them out to will be rehabing those roos if they do....jmho.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I agree that we should try not to judge but its always good to "research" who your "pets" go too..if that is what you consider your chickens. Some people dont see them as such, which is fine. Just be careful how you represent yourself.

Mom23chicklets did her homework on this one. [​IMG]

9. mom23chicklets

May 31, 2007
    CT
    I really hope I wasn't misunderstood. I have no problem whatsoever if anyone wants to eat their chickens. And I was not trying to judge justusnak, and feel that I chose language that was not inflammatory in my response to her.

blue90290: Just to clear the record, the response I got to my initial offer for my roos was,"However, I have 6 hens that need a guy. Oh, and my hens and roos, dont go to the pot...unless they are cornishx." Then I read the thread where she says to someone else, "I am in SE Indiana....but dont need any more Roos. LOL I have one to find a home for myself...A Cuckoo Maran...18 weeks or so. "

Do you see why I had trouble with it? The statement was that she doesn't need any more roos and that she had one to get rid of or else she'd eat it. She wasn't truthful with me. It wasn't that I cared whether she ate roos or not.

Anyway, I posted the UPDATE to share my good news about finding homes for my roos. Also a family a couple of miles away is looking for an Ameraucana cockeral for their hen! They've also asked to take the GLW cockeral. We'll be able to visit them too! And my BOs will be able to live in peace hopefully. My very patient neighbors will also enjoy NOT hearing the crows!

10. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Well, in defence of justusnak, she runs a rescue on her farm, so she has a lot of birds.

I seriously doubt there was any deliberate misrepresentation. Some things, even taken out of context, can be misunderstood.

'Grats on placing your roos.
    Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by