ameraucana standards

krstms

MO Hick Chick
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Missouri
Can someone tell me or direct me to a site or book that gives more detailed information about standards of perfection for ameraucana? I have looked at the ameraucana breeders website but it doesnt specify about colors. I have been told that a black ameraucana should have no purple hues to them only green. Is this correct? any other info regarding B/B ameraucanas would be greatly appreciated.

The beetle green sheen is ideal. I know it has something to do with hidden genes that they are carrying if they have purple, but I'm not sure which ones, honestly, that's all beyond my understanding of genetics.
smile.png
The ABC site, or the Ameraucana forum on here are the best (and I believe the only) places to get that kind of information. You just have to ask.
wink.png

I am sadly just not very good about genetics. i would love to learn though and am hoping to let my dd show her bantam ams but am wondering what I should look for in a show quality bird. I get the size and shape I think but have no idea on color, etc. Thanks for answering me.

Quote:
You bet.
thumbsup.gif
Does she just have blacks? Honestly, most of the time, the show halls I have been in are too dark for the judges to really be able to take the sheen into much consideration, and even if they do, purple barring in the feathers is only 1/2 to 2 pts per section. In the grand scheme of things, that's not that much. The birds type is much more important. I have heard many times from the mouths of judges: "build the barn first, then paint it". I would let her enter them and let them be judged. THEN remember that it is the opinion of ONE judge on ONE day. Another time, that same judge's opinion might be different, or another judge might've placed them very differently.
wink.png

They are BBS but the blacks is the only ones I'd ever heard anything about. Are splash even showable?

Back
Top Bottom