Ameraucana stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by certifiedchef, Jan 24, 2011.

1. certifiedchef

certifiedchef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Carmichael
    We have 4 hens, started laying in mid December, the Ameraucana was first to lay. We have been getting 3-4 eggs a day since then, but Mable (the Ameraucana) has not given us an egg for 2 days now. Also, she has no feathers under her chin? on her throat/neck area - is this early molting? she seems healthy otherwise.
    thank you for the help

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    I could be a molt, I would check her for ticks. Especially in that area on an ameracana. Just my opinion. Someone else may think different.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As I understand it, unlike other breeds, like leghorns and rocks, an Ameraucana is not a production bird. They are not given to a high output of eggs. One little sign of short days or a bit of mot and they shut right down. What saves them is their eggs being so desirable. It sounds like your bird is molting. One thing that might help is to increase her protein a bit with something like a bit of tuna, salmon, beans or eggs. It could last a while -- be patient.

Jenny

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine take breaks all the time. Nothing to worry about.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    By the way you spell Ameraucana it sounds like you have an EE not an Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by