Ameraucana supposed to be a pullet, think it's a roo

The Farm store I got them from said they were. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah, we've heard it all MANY times before unfortunately. :T Have a look and see how many people have real Ameraucanas and how many have easter eggers. It's pretty overwhelming.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...[min_reply_count]=2&c[nodes][0]=15&o=date&g=1
Suffice to say, it's a marketing scheme because Ameracuanas - real ones - are popular and sell well and are worth a lot of money and the labeling chicken breeds is debatable in court. So hatcheries lie and customers suffer.

In the future, the best way to tell if you are getting a purebred Ameraucana or an easter egger is to look for a color variety. For example BARRED Plymouth Rock, BUFF Orpington, BLACK AND COPPER Marans, WHITE Leghorn.
Ameraucana chickens have specific color varieties as well. If the pen doesn't say something like "Wheaten", "Blue", or "Blue Black Splash (BBS)" Ameraucanas, they're just mixed breed easter eggers. Same with if you're buying from ebay or craigslist or whatever. If they can't tell you what specific color variety they are they are easter eggers.

You have some very lovely easter eggers. And easter eggers are great chickens, especially if you just want some pets or eggs! They tend to be hardier and lay better than purebred chickens because of their mixed heritage. But nobody who knows Ameraucanas well would mistake them for one.

I got 4 Ameraucana's 8 weeks ago that were sexed to be a pullets. I started thinking a week ago that this one might be a cockrell. It's bigger than the other 3 and it's tail looks different.
I don't think it's a cockerel, cause it looks more like a hen in the face and neck feathers, but the color and pattern is WAY different!
In other words... I'm stumped!

Cockerel, he has male specific coloring. Easter Eggers are ameraucana mixes. Ameraucanas come in specific coloring (blue, black, splash, white, wheaten, lavender, brown red, buff, blue wheaten and silver) and they have slate blue legs. They have a perfect pea comb, not a modified looking pea comb and huge muffs and beard. Yours is an EE.

Yeah, we've heard it all MANY times before unfortunately. :T Have a look and see how many people have real Ameraucanas and how many have easter eggers. It's pretty overwhelming.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...[min_reply_count]=2&c[nodes][0]=15&o=date&g=1
Suffice to say, it's a marketing scheme because Ameracuanas - real ones - are popular and sell well and are worth a lot of money and the labeling chicken breeds is debatable in court. So hatcheries lie and customers suffer.

In the future, the best way to tell if you are getting a purebred Ameraucana or an easter egger is to look for a color variety. For example BARRED Plymouth Rock, BUFF Orpington, BLACK AND COPPER Marans, WHITE Leghorn.
Ameraucana chickens have specific color varieties as well. If the pen doesn't say something like "Wheaten", "Blue", or "Blue Black Splash (BBS)" Ameraucanas, they're just mixed breed easter eggers. Same with if you're buying from ebay or craigslist or whatever. If they can't tell you what specific color variety they are they are easter eggers.

You have some very lovely easter eggers. And easter eggers are great chickens, especially if you just want some pets or eggs! They tend to be hardier and lay better than purebred chickens because of their mixed heritage. But nobody who knows Ameraucanas well would mistake them for one.
Thank you! I love learning about my chickens! I've learned a lot the past few months, but there is so much more to learn!

Back
Top Bottom