Ameraucana temperment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuts4hotwheels, Jun 25, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    One of the Barred Rocks that I bought 4 weeks ago turned out to be a roo. I live in the city limits and I can't have a rooster due to noise ordinances. The lady that I purchased it from agreed to let me swap it for another chick. I have the choice of getting an Ameraucana, barred rock, production red or silkie. I was thinking of getting an Ameraucana and another silkie to keep it company in the brooder. Besides the Rock roo that we are returning, we have a Production Red, Silkie, Serama and Barred Rock, hopefully all pullets.

I'll get to the point- What is the temperment of Ameraucana chickens? I have 3 kids from age 3-7, so they need to be kid friendly.

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    If it's a true Ameraucana, they can have friendly or flighty personalities. If it's an Easter Egger (most "Ameraucanas" are), it can have a very friendly personality, but a few can be a bit skittish. I have several that have friendly personalities. Most require a fair amount of handling when chicks to get that friendliness.

I love them. They're great.[​IMG]

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    All mine have been friendly,but dumb as doorknobs and always the bottom chickens in the pecking order.

4. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    my americaunas are very skittish... I pick them up at night and rub their combs. They don't complain quite as much that way.
    My americaunas are also the biggest of my 12 hens... I call them my tubby ladies.

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Have 3 EE's and they are very sweet but extremely shy so they are at the bottom of the pecking order, two have scars from the SLW's & BR's. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by