Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Aww- nice chunky little guy! I love his posture. I don't recall seeing the tips of the tail feathers like that before. (sneaks out to check)

Are you talking about the tips of his tail feathers? If so... I didnt notice that until today, but then again. I havnt spent much time with them the past month or so... [​IMG]

Yeah- mine don't have that, but they look a bit older so maybe that's why? I wish I had paid attention!

2. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Sorry, havnt gotten pics in a while. Heres one of each of my girls.
    The first one is fatty Patty, so far she has a lot of black around her neck and through her wings. Im hoping that she molts it out... Guess I'll find out soon!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:^^^^^Maybe adjust your screen, pix look GREAT to me!!!![​IMG]

4. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:Hey Illia? What do you think of all the brown in the tail? Think he'll look cleaner after he's done molting?

lol I need a feather chart, so I can remember what all the different locations are. lol
    I feel so new! [​IMG]

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I can't wait to see him when he's grown up!

6. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] We have a rooster and two hens. They are all pure bred Americana's. From the eggs we have had hatch, we have gotten black and white, solid white, solid reddish/rust, and a golden and black chicks. Moms are black and white and Dad is solid white. Ill post pictures when I can. I love ours, they are so docile and love to be held. Sam ( for Uncle Sam ) loves to "talk" to me at 5 o'clock every morning on the dot. If I go out on our back deck, I can see him and call to him. He will come running and carry on a good "conversation" for several minutes. They are funny.Each and every one of our 30 ( yes 30) chickens each have their own special personality.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:They sound like very nice birds, but they don't sound like purebred Ameraucanas [​IMG]

LOVE the conversations one can have with a rooster!

Wheaten cockerel - His tail isn't terrible in color, I'd prefer to judge it when it isn't missing feathers though [​IMG] It is kinda rare to find a fully black tail; red on the shafts I believe is okay, the tips, if he's all you have he's fine. However if that's red on the thighs I see, then I'd worry. It starts there, then if you want to think of a "quality scale" - the bottom of the scale is when the red hits the breast.

To each their own opinion but when it comes to color, the two most common things that bother me in Wheatens is A) the lack of color in female's tails and B) white beards and "cottonballs" in males.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Seen as how I'm here uploading pics...got a shot of Jean's buff chicks. Still no sign of rooness- thank god! But- eggs are a long long way off.

[​IMG]

Ya think that little blue barred chick in the corner could be a roo? [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's some pretty blue barring [​IMG] Reminds me of when my barred Araucanas were actually, well, barred. They looked like than when that young.

10. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Here are some pics of my Roo Goliath... 18 weeks old this weekend... You can see some of the yellowing on his back by the tail in the saddle feathers. (kind of hard to see in these pics) I really just wanted to show off my Roo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one of my pullets close up... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by