Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I've been getting sex-link easter eggers from my barred rock hens and my Blue Ameraucana rooster. The hens are all black blue and light blue and roosters are barred.
(As chicks the boys have a white spot on their head and the girls don't)
View attachment 2157489
View attachment 2157494View attachment 2157495
These are the Barred Rock eggs next to their daughter's Easter egger eggs, the size usually stays pretty good

The Barred rooster below is from the same parents. He has the beard like the Ameraucana... witch is beautiful!
View attachment 2157501

Those hens look for all the world like Ameraucana...though they seem a bit more 'solid' for want of a better word.

Are they any bigger than purebred?

I also wonder how their personality is affected. My rocks are inquisitive...and friendly for the most part...but some refuse to be handled...and only one or two of the twenty will willingly be held. If I sit still a few will invariably come sit on my shoulders or thighs...but otherwise they're mostly not interested. Absolutely NOT timid or scared of me...just not interested in attention or handling. That could be from the fact that I bought the entire twenty of them as chicks, and it's hard to give much one on one attention to twenty screeching bottle rockets, lol...but I'm still curious how the 'Ameraucana' in them affects their temperament.

Those hens look for all the world like Ameraucana...though they seem a bit more 'solid' for want of a better word.

Are they any bigger than purebred?

I also wonder how their personality is affected. My rocks are inquisitive...and friendly for the most part...but some refuse to be handled...and only one or two of the twenty will willingly be held. If I sit still a few will invariably come sit on my shoulders or thighs...but otherwise they're mostly not interested. Absolutely NOT timid or scared of me...just not interested in attention or handling. That could be from the fact that I bought the entire twenty of them as chicks, and it's hard to give much one on one attention to twenty screeching bottle rockets, lol...but I'm still curious how the 'Ameraucana' in them affects their temperament.
I feel like they do have a blocker body and maybe a little shorter, than I've seen with the pure bred Ameraucanas I used to have.

That's kinda the same reaction I get with my birds, there are 19 total. All of them come right up to me whenever I go out into the pasture but don't really want to be handled... some more than others... a few of the easter eggers will be right at my feet as I walk. I would say they are curious and want to know if I have treats, pretty friendly, but the just don't touch me kinda thing. Although I do think it's a raised in a big group that influences that and the batch that I had that was hen raised thats way more skiddish and stays further from me. When I lived in the city and only had a few (all different breeds too) they were actually just fine with being picked up and weren't afraid of me.

Hoping to get some advice from someone more familiar with Ameraucanas!

Some back story: I currently have a blue Ameraucana rooster, he's been my main breeder for 3 years. I use him in my olive eggers over French Black Copper Marans. The olive eggers I've held back I want to breed back to an Ameraucana and I'm looking at a potential rooster for some new blood and possibly good color.

There is a local guy selling an about a year old... what I'm guessing is a splash wheaten for $20... I'm just not sure about it and want some opinions on it. I'm also trying to work out possibilities and benefits of this color if anyone has anything to chime in...
View attachment 2156954
*Other hens I have in my flock for some fun mixes are: Barred Rock, easter egger, saphire gem, welsummer.
*I'll be getting a French Black Copper Maran rooster this summer.

I think it’s an EE rooster... unless he is homogenous for blue eggs, he may only pass the gene part of the time... that is if he is caring the gene... if he is out of a blue egg laying bird crossed with a brown or white layer breed and the blue egg gene parent only had 1 blue egg gene he might not posses the blue egg gene at all. The only way to know is through breeding him to hens who lay white or brown eggs. On the plus he is not too expensive. But he looks classic EE roo to me.

I am just seeing this thread pop up for first time here in it. I ordered a Blue Ameraucana from Meyers, she came splash tho. I named her Violet. She is so petite. I love her! Are they a super broody breed? She is thinking about it but I haven't decided whether or not if I want to let her sit. Are they good first time chick moms?

This is my Ameraucana in question. She was doing this for a couple of days....

And now she doesn’t want to come out of the box again. She is the one in the bottom box. (Although, yes, that is another broody in top box as well.:barnie)
CB05E1BB-5EC9-48BF-A1E0-2472925EE14C.jpeg

This is the 2nd time for her. The first time I ended up trying to move her from that nest box to another area and it ended up breaking her. Was before she started actually developing eggs so it was ok. I thought maybe I would give her another shot at all. I was just curious at anyone else’s experience.

This is my Ameraucana in question. She was doing this for a couple of days....

And now she doesn’t want to come out of the box again. She is the one in the bottom box. (Although, yes, that is another broody in top box as well.:barnie)
View attachment 2166007
This is the 2nd time for her. The first time I ended up trying to move her from that nest box to another area and it ended up breaking her. Was before she started actually developing eggs so it was ok. I thought maybe I would give her another shot at all. I was just curious at anyone else’s experience.
Moving a broody is tricky . Some just can not be moved . When I have succeeded it is done at night and locked in the new nest and cage . Release briefly for food , water and potty . If she returns to the nest on her own she is ok . Many just go nuts and quit .

Back
Top Bottom