Ameraucana vs Easter Egger debacle

zrodimel

In the Brooder
May 26, 2015
West Lafayette, Indiana
I apologize in advance for asking. I know there's all kinds of threads like this and resources for telling them apart, but I just can't figure out what's what.

Pictured below is 3 Ameraucanas and 3 Easter Eggers. However, I'm not sure which 3 are which. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zach

The three dark ones are Easter Eggers. The three buff ones aren't Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas, they have yellow legs. The two buff ones with white are Red Sex-Links, while the one with the black tail is a hatchery New Hampshire. It's hard and rare to actually get pure Ameraucanas these days, pure ones are extremely expensive. They have beards and cheek puffs, and grey/green/bluish legs, according to the variety, like this Blue Ameraucana:

Last edited:
The three dark ones are Easter Eggers. The three buff ones aren't Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas, they have yellow legs. The two buff ones with white are Red Sex-Links, while the one with the black tail is a hatchery New Hampshire. It's hard and rare to actually get pure Ameraucanas these days, pure ones are extremely expensive. They have beards and cheek puffs, and grey/green/bluish legs, according to the variety, like this Blue Ameraucana:

I agree.

welcome-byc.gif

What Blackberry said.

You won't get Ameraucana from a feed store. If you get one from a breeder, it will usually be more expensive, and the tell is always the color. A true breeder of any pure bred bird will be able to tell you what color(s) they breed. If I bred Plymouth Rocks, for example, I would say I had barred Rocks and white Rocks. True Ameraucana breeders will have a few colors they specialize in--black, wheaton, etc. If they say "they're gold and black" or something similar, they're Easter eggers.

I apologize in advance for asking. I know there's all kinds of threads like this and resources for telling them apart, but I just can't figure out what's what.

Pictured below is 3 Ameraucanas and 3 Easter Eggers. However, I'm not sure which 3 are which. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zach
Going Left to Right I see a Red sexlink, Black sexlink or Easter Egger, New Hampshire Red, Red sexlink, Easter Egger, Easter Egger.

Last edited:
Going Left to Right I see a Red sexlink, Black sexlink or Easter Egger, New Hampshire Red, Red sexlink, Easter Egger, Easter Egger.

I agree. The second one does look like a Black Sex Link and the third one looks like a hatchery grade New Hampshire or Production Red (technically speaking, there is really little or no difference between the two).

Wow, thanks all. I wasn't expecting that but I'm glad to have the extra variety. The wife, on the other hand, isn't going to be so happy. I guess as long as the easter eggers lay some blue eggs she won't make me sell all of them ;) Goes to show you can't always trust people on craigslist.

Thanks again for the help!
Zach

Back
Top Bottom