Ameraucana-What Sex is This?

BobandAmanda

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hi all,
We are new to chickens. We have 7 total. 2 are babies and 5 are about 9 weeks old. We have 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Cuckoo Maran and 1 RIR. All were purchased "sexed" and were 95% guaranteed to be hens. This is our first flock. Over time we are starting to think one of the Ameraucanas is a rooster. (S)he (Swoop) is totally dominant over the flock, tries to mount the other hens, etc. Swoop is one of the Ameraucanas and is much bigger than the other. Swoop's comb is coming in way more than the other Ameraucana. After reviewing this site, I'm concerned bc Swoop's tail feathers seem to curl downwards while the other Americauna's (as well as our other hens) do not. I've attached some photos. What do you guys thing? Is Swoop a roo?? We have not heard Swoop crow yet. Not sure if they should be crowing by now. Let me know if you need more photos as I have more. Please help!

highrockieschic

Songster
6 Years
May 12, 2014
This guy is a cockerel for sure. The splotchy coloring gives him away. He's very pretty! Pullets will have a consistent patterning covering their whole bodies. Cockerels have splashes of color.

BobandAmanda

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Wow. Thanks for the info. We love our chickens and don't want to get rid of him. We're going to try to keep him and keep our fingers crossed the neighbors don't mind. We already lost one to a dog attack, that's why we have the 2 babies. We wanted to replace her. It was traumatic. I hate to think of losing another.

Top Bottom