Ameraucana winter hardy laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dustinnvnorth, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dustinnvnorth

Dustinnvnorth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Are true Ameraucana considered winter hardy just because of their small wattle, comb, and types of feathers? Are they a good winter laying breed for high elevation and cold winters? Temps in the singles and teens.

2. AJ Farms

AJ Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Here's some good information for you

Ameraucana
    The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Less rare than Araucanas, they are still quite rare and only available through breeders at this time. They should not be confused with Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs, and do not conform to any breed standard. However, many hatcheries continue to call their Easter Eggers "Americanas" (and other various misspellings). If you are interested in showing your birds, make sure that you have true Ameraucana or Araucana.

[​IMG]
    Blue Ameraucana Hen

Class: All Other Breeds
    Type: Large Fowl & Bantam
    Size: Medium (6-7 lbs)
    Rarity: Rare
    Purpose: Egg-laying
    Recognized Varieties: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, White

Egg Laying: Good (3/wk)
    Egg Color: Blue
    Egg Size: Medium

Comb Type: Pea Comb
    Crested: No
    Feathered Legs: No
    Number of Toes: 4

Hardy In Winter: Yes
    Bears Confinement: Bears confinement well
    Especially Docile: Yes
    Setter/Broody: No
    Personality: Fun

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I love my Ameraucana, they are excellent cold weather layers. They don't really like going out in the snow, but will on sunny days.

4. Mugs

Mugs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Mine are doing great with the cold here in Wisconsin. Right now it's pretty warm but we had a cold snap when the temps were down to the low teens. They seemed just fine and happy in the cold.

As for laying they ain't the greatest. One will lay for a couple of weeks and then go broody so stop laying. The other seems to be having a mini molt. She's been the better layer but isn't now.

5. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    My Easter Eggers (which are a mix breed of Ameraucanas and Aracaunas) are great layers in the winter! I have three of them and they are extremely small birds (I think their bantams) and they usually out lay my 4 bigger birds

6. Dustinnvnorth

Dustinnvnorth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Thats interesting about the bantams. Most published literature I have read says they dont lay as well as large fowl. Recently I have heard several accounts of bantam Chantecler laying better than their full size counterparts.

7. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    this is very true in my case

8. blackgum

blackgum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    in the woods
    my lay good in winter also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by