Ameraucana X Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MadamPoofyBrow, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I have nine Ameraucana pullets that I got from an Ameraucana breeder. They aren't EE, and they are just about to laying age. I am not planning on keeping my cockerel as he's already getting aggressive and I don't really want to breed them anyway.
    They are living with my four standard cochin hens, and my two standard cochin roosters.
    So my question is, if I hatched some of the Ameraucana's eggs once they start laying, since they are with Cochin roosters, would the resulting chicks grow up to be olive eggers? Or are Cochin eggs not dark brown enough? I think olive eggers would be awesome!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What color eggs did those Cochin roosters hatch from? That will give you an idea of how much brown they would add to the egg shell color. According to Henderson’s Breed Chart, Cochin normally lay pretty light-colored eggs, so it is unlikely that your eggs would be olive colored. Henderson’s Breed Chart is just a guideline, individual chickens can vary from that quite a bit, but expect some light green or maybe even pretty blue eggs from that cross, not olive eggs.

3. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I'm not sure about the eggs they hatched from as I got them from a breeder as day old chicks. The hens aren't laying yet, but I can post pics of their eggs when they start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by