Ameraucana

Ojwilli18

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2019
Saginaw, Michigan
02364C10-91E8-4AFE-B67C-DF2B01880FF3.jpeg
Has anyone had experience with Ameraucana’s? We got 4 chickens from Tractor Supply that were supposed to all be hens. They are about 13 weeks now and my Ameraucana has me convinced she is a rooster. It’s much larger than the rest and a lot more aggressive, but I’m unsure if that is just in their nature. It doesn’t crow or try to crow and I don’t see any spurs. The picture attached is from the internet but it’s exactly what she looks like. I’d hate to have to get rid of it if it is a rooster so I’m hopeful it’s just an aggressive hen.

Has anyone had experience with Ameraucana’s? We got 4 chickens from Tractor Supply that were supposed to all be hens. They are about 13 weeks now and my Ameraucana has me convinced she is a rooster. It’s much larger than the rest and a lot more aggressive, but I’m unsure if that is just in their nature. It doesn’t crow or try to crow and I don’t see any spurs. The picture attached is from the internet but it’s exactly what she looks like. I’d hate to have to get rid of it if it is a rooster so I’m hopeful it’s just an aggressive hen.
If the photo you found on the internet looks exactly like the bird you have then you have an Easter Egger cockerel.
Spurs do not develop until they are much older. Pullets and hens can also develop spurs so that is not an indicator of gender.
TSC does not sell Ameraucanas. They sell Easter Eggers which are hybrids.
Are you not allowed roosters where you are?

If the photo you found on the internet looks exactly like the bird you have then you have an Easter Egger cockerel.
Spurs do not develop until they are much older. Pullets and hens can also develop spurs so that is not an indicator of gender.
TSC does not sell Ameraucanas. They sell Easter Eggers which are hybrids.
Are you not allowed roosters where you are?
Oh, the woman at the store told us it was an Ameraucana and the sign on the brooder with the chicks said it as well. And no, we are not allowed a rooster where we are and we only wanted hens.

Oh, the woman at the store told us it was an Ameraucana and the sign on the brooder with the chicks said it as well. And no, we are not allowed a rooster where we are and we only wanted hens.
The people who work at TSC rarely know much about chickens in general and breeds in particular. And the hatchery from which the store gets their chicks plays dishonest games by misspelling Ameracauna.
You can post your cockerel on CL or FB and see if someone wants him. I was pleasantly surprised to rehome two mutt cockerels so people who just wanted a rooster for their flocks. Neither of the boys were human aggressive and that helps a lot.

Last edited:
The people who work at TSC rarely no much about chickens in general and breeds in particular. And the hatchery from which the store gets their chicks plays dishonest games by misspelling Ameracauna.
You can post your cockerel on CL or FB and see if someone wants him. I was pleasantly surprised to rehome two mutt cockerels so people who just wanted a rooster for their flocks. Neither of the boys were human aggressive and that helps a lot.
How disappointing. It is human aggressive though for some reason. It bites me hard any time I put my hands near it and it was holding down one of the hens by the neck for a moment this morning. It’s the only one of the flock who pecks me so hard like it’s really trying to hurt me. But I suppose I will need to post it in some places to try and re-home it. Thank you.

It may help to post photos of your EE cockerel at feed stores, and consider craigslist maybe.
There's a learning curve involved in managing cockerels, and your first year with chickens may be the wrong time to start with one. @Beekissed has a very good article here on this subject, please look it up!
If you rehome him, do it with full disclosure too.
Mary

It may help to post photos of your EE cockerel at feed stores, and consider craigslist maybe.
There's a learning curve involved in managing cockerels, and your first year with chickens may be the wrong time to start with one. @Beekissed has a very good article here on this subject, please look it up!
If you rehome him, do it with full disclosure too.
Mary
Thank you, I will do that. It’s unfortunate because it really is a beautiful chicken. I’ll try to post an actual picture of it when I get home later. But I also have a Rhode Island Red who is the smallest and so sweet, a calm isa brown, a spunky Plymouth blue rock, and then there’s the mean EE. Hopefully I can find someone who will give him a good home!

Back
Top Bottom