Ameraucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blissey86, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Blissey86

Blissey86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    above chick 1
    [​IMG]
    chick 2 above and below
    [​IMG]

I was told these two are Ameraucana what do you guys think?

2. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be,but you must wait till they are older to be sure.

3. Blissey86

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    They don't have the correct leg color and i don't think any of the eight colors even look like that as chicks. Where did you get them?

5. Blissey86

Mar 13, 2013
    I got them from a feed store. They both have green colored legs

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    How many of these do you have? Is it just these two? I'm having trouble keeping your chicks straight. I remember seeing one that looked almost like it had a straight comb, what kind of comb does your top one have?

The pics don't show the green in the legs, but sometimes it's faint. Anyway, if they're green, they're definitely not Ameraucana - they can only have slate legs.

What color birds did they tell you they were?

7. Blissey86

Mar 13, 2013
    My one I posted about a week ago passed away came out to check on the chicks and she was gone. so we got 2 more. These ones are new. Im confused on the difference between slate legs and green legs?

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Slate legs are a darkish gray color. Green is lighter, and more distinctly green. Here's some true Ameraucana chicks, from the official website: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/bluelf.jpg

See how much lighter and definitely green the legs are: https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/5825647 (EE)

Having said that, leg color as a small chick isn't a definitive thing.

I will say that odds are, if you got them at a feed store, they're not Ameraucana, even though they were labeled that way. They are most probably EE.

What does that mean? Nothing, unless you were planning on showing or breeding. If you're looking for a fun, sweet layer, it's perfect. I love, love, love my easter eggers.

9. Blissey86

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks so much. Can easter eggers lay blue eggs? I heard they only lay green.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Because they are mixed, it makes them less likely to lay blue eggs. It depends on what they are crosses of and what color egg the parents where(with is hard to say, because likely they came from a hatchery). Most of my EEs lay agua/light green eggs.

The green eggs are blue eggs with a brown over coat. I also have some olive eggers, they where crossed with a dark brown egg layer (like a Marans or Welsummer)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by