Ameraucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yoyo with chick, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Yoyo with chick

Yoyo with chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Cottage Grove, OR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What variety is this rooster?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The same as his hens--the Easter Egger variety. Not really an Ameraucana at all, but a bird of mixed heritage that usually has traits of an Ameraucana--dark legs, beard/muffs, pea comb, and most importantly blue or green eggs. No name for their colors, they're just EE colored.

3. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    The roo is an Easter Egger. The brown hen with black head and beard is an Easter Egger. Brown hen with yellowish brown neck feathers, black tail and yellow legs, can't tell breed from the picture. Blue hen with darker blue neck feathers and the huge wattles and comb is not an Easter Egger. Black and white speckled hen with white face can't tell breed from picture but the coloring is a bit off for an Easter Egger. Hope this helped.

4. The roo is an EE

5. Yoyo with chick

Jan 11, 2014
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thanks! I would like to breed chickens for blue eggs to sell . I have three Easter eggers including the rooster.

6. Yoyo with chick

Jan 11, 2014
    Cottage Grove, OR
    There is also a blue copper maran , wellsumer, and a silver laced Wyandotte

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do the hens lay blue or green eggs?

The tricky thing is working with a rooster who you didn't hatch, so you don't know his genetics, as far as what egg color genes he carries. He could carry blue, he could carry green, who knows. If you start with blue, it's easy to go to green, but if you start with green it makes it more difficult to get back to blue. Course, all the shades of each color and in between are pretty cool, imo.

And [​IMG] from a straight shot down I-5!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    easter eggers

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    definately agree about starting out with blue. To the OP- you would make things a lot easier on yourself if you just got a true ameraucana rooster. Or you can do test hatches and spend a lot of time and money into some birds that aren't what you were looking for.

10. justinsgoteggz

justinsgoteggz New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    The one that is golden and brown is a brown leghorn. I have some of those

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by