Ameraucanas already panting??

Pineywoods Peepers

Certified Poultry Accruer
11 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Pineywoods of East Texas
So it's been a relatively nice spring here in east Texas. The temps have been in the 50's at night and up to the 80's during the day. Not too bad for us for April. The layers I bought last summer seem to be doing well, but my 5.5 month old Ameraucanas are already breathing with their mouths open! I dont remember reading anything about Ameraucanas not doing well in the heat, but maybe I overlooked that tidbit in my research. Or maybe it's cuz they're from new York and instinctively feel it should not yet be this warm.
smile.png

Our temps are only gonna get worse. What can I do for these girls to keep them comfy?

Yeah, they should probably adapt to it soon. As long as they have some source of shade or cool area and plenty water they should be fine. I know out here it rarely gets beyond 79 degrees, but when it does, about half the breeds we own start panting. The main thing being that they're not used to the heat, and probably never will be.

They've been here since they were 3 days old. I'm thinking maybe they won't adjust to our heat. Guess this means I need to break out the a/c unit this summer, but I'm not too thrilled with the notion they'll be hanging out in the coop all day.

Not sure about the pudgy part for the girls. For me, yes. For them, maybe?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom