Ameraucanas and 1st egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bjcoop, Sep 13, 2007.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    My young easter eggers (early april hatch) have not laid one egg yet while most of my others have. How long before these beautiful girls begin laying?

waiting...waiting...waiting.........[​IMG]

2. nuchickmama

nuchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Rock Island, TN
    Got mine mid April, and am also still waiting. I keep asking them, but nothing yet.....

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 5 EE's and 2 of them are laying at 19 and a half weeks. I don't know if there's much difference in laying between ameraucanas and EE's though.

Good luck. I hope yours lay soon.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have 5 ameraucanas...they were hatched around the middle of March..I think...anyways, they started laying about 2 weeks ago. LOVELY green eggs...well, except for one gal, lays me an Olive drab...but I still tell her its beautifull.

[​IMG]
    These were collected over 3 days. Notice the Olive drab in the center? Hmmm, "pretty"?? LOL

edited to add pic.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I got mine on April 11 and they have not started laying yet, but have been showing all the signs that they are ready. I can't wait. It will be just like Easter.

6. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    Mine hatched April 13th. I have gotten several largish long light green eggs and 1 very lovely blue egg that was shaped differently and smaller. So, I think 2 of the 3 are laying, and I know for sure that at least 1 is!!

7. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I got mine April 23rd from McMurray's and 1 of mine just started laying last week. I've got 24 EE's and only 1 possibly 2 are laying. I think they are hiding them... [​IMG]
    Haven't had an egg since Tuesday. Is this normal?
    justusnack...those are beautiful!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

cheeptrick Thanks...I am sooo very proud of these gals! They are very vocal when egg laying time comes. Whew! When they first come into laying...they will be very irradic (sp) I get 3, sometimes 4 a day...from 6 hens..( of the green/blue) Is there a possibility of a snake in the coop? Might be eating the eggs? YIKES! Just the thought of that makes my skin crawl!

9. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I did catch a chipmunk in the coop on Wednesday...do they eat eggs? [​IMG]

10. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I am glad to hear that ya'll have girls about the same age as mine....and that yours haven't started laying yet either. At least we know that they are all normal!! We are waiting!!!!
    Tink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by