Ameraucanas and a black star (I think)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by archerobx, Jan 17, 2010.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    I have three chickens I need help with.

This one is a rooster and I am pretty sure ameraucana, but it doesnt have a tail like the other ones I have seen in his color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I thought was a black star hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this a black amercauanas?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank yall for your help
    Ryan

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The roo is NOT an Ameraucana or an Araucana, he doesn't even have muffs or tufts . He is probably an Easter Egger or some other mutt.

The second hen could be a Black Sexlink if her mother was a Dominique and/or her dad was a Rose Comb RIR or a Wyandotte since she has a rose comb. But she could just be a random mix too. Where did you get her from?

The last one, again is no where near an Ameraucana, Amerauanas have pea combs and muffs, this hen has a single comb and no muffs, this one actually looks the most like a Black Sexlink, (Black Star)

3. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Appreciate it.
    Not good at identifing them as you can tell.
    Got them from a farmer, they are all free range so I am thinking they all are a mix.

Thank you
    Ryan

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think Sexlinks have yellow legs. Mine do. [​IMG] Maybe the first hen is a Black Australorp or some kind of mix. Don't have a clue for the other two. Might be crosses. [​IMG]

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:Just because it doesn't have tuffs does not mean it isn't an Arucana.

From ArucanasOnline.com
    The Modern Araucana does not breed true, meaning many Araucanas will not have tufts, some may have partial or full tails, and their coloration may not meet the standard for their variety. As a result, approximately only 1 in 100 Araucanas is show quality.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    That first roo looks like he could be an Araucana. Even though its not good, he has the correct looking comb. And he looks to be partially tailed, another indicator he may be Araucana, since not all are rumpless. He looks very similar to my Araucana rooster, color and all.

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Just because it doesn't have tuffs does not mean it isn't an Arucana.

From ArucanasOnline.com
    The Modern Araucana does not breed true, meaning many Araucanas will not have tufts, some may have partial or full tails, and their coloration may not meet the standard for their variety. As a result, approximately only 1 in 100 Araucanas is show quality.

While this is true, there are other rumpless breeds. And without knowing what the parents were, then there's no way of knowing for sure if it's an Araucana. In the world of Araucanas/Ameraucanas, if it doesn't meet the standard or parents are unknown, then it's not worth of the title. It may not make sense, but these are difficult breeds to breed, which is why people are strict about identifying them.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have tuftless Aracaunas. I'm not sure what you roo is- but if you plan on breeding, I'd put him with a white egg layer and see what color eggs his offspring lay. I agree with Rareroo on the girls.

9. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Thank yall again.

I have him with 2 buff orph hens, RIR, and those two black mixes. I have ben collecting eggs for the bator.
    I am not sure what mix they will make or even if they can breed togther. I havent seen him mounting a hen

Breed doesnt really matter to me, not showing them or selling hatching eggs or chicks so if they mix I am fine with it. Just like to have an idea if people ask me. My 6 year old autistic son picked those three out. Asked him which ones he wanted and he pointed them out.

Thank yall again

Ryan

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That first hen is not a BA either. The comb is wrong. BA's have a single comb. I think that they ARE mixes of some kind. But I don't think you'll ever get to pin point it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by