Ameraucanas and Araucanas and Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by matthewschickens, Nov 19, 2009.

1. I recently learned (from experince and from reading) that Amerauncanas are seasonal layers. I would like to know if Araucanas and Easter Eggers are seasonal layers also?

Thank you!!

Matthew

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Im not sure about Araucanas - I would say the EEs differ, depending on how outbred from Ameraucana/Araucana blood they are, and what other breeds are mixed in.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    ALL chickens are seasonal layers unless you keep them on a 14 hour day. They do need to molt each fall and stop laying then. Hens begin laying agin after molt once the daylength nears or becomes 14 hours. Here in Vermont it is dark at 1630 and my birds will shut down shortly unless I provide extra lighting for them.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I have LF WBS Ameraucanas. My birds lay all year long and yes, I do have them on 15 hours of light during the winter months. I don't know where you heard they are "seasonal layers" but whoever or whatever that was must have been referring to what Birch Run said which is true.

God Bless,

5. Thank you all for your help very much!!!
    I think we will put them on a light this winter so they will start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by