Ameraucanas and Buff Orpington sexing... this is hard!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erysette, Apr 26, 2017.

1. erysette

erysette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey guys! I'm excited. My babies (half of them) have finally gotten old enough to post here so that I can get some gender guessing help! I have this little Buff Orpington, and three Ameraucanas. I'm pretty stumped as this is my first time with chicks!

The Buff:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ameraucana #1 (black):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ameraucana #2 (biggest grey):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ameraucana #3 (smaller grey):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    3 looks like a roo, the rest look like pullets.

3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    It is still too early to sex them. Wait till they are 6-8 weeks, or fully feathered out. Your ameraucaunas are gorgeous! We had some when I was a kid, and they would sit on 20-30 eggs, hatch 20-30 chicks, and 20-30 chicks would survive to adulthood. They were brilliant mothers.

ETA: :welcome. Glad you've joined with your new chicks. Also, 3 is showing no apparent signs of being a cockerel.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Too early to sex them. Early attempts are just guesses. People want something less dubious. agree with Minnowey wait till 6-8 weeks. Also is impossible to get a good look at chicks when they are being held . We need to see them standing on their own, and also clear head shots showing comb or lack of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by