Ameraucanas and Production Reds a good choice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NaturalChick, Jun 29, 2008.

1. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I had chickens growing up, and always wanted to have my own but I have not had the lifestyle to have any until now. I am SO EXCITED to have found a feed store that has chicken to sell. They have a few different breeds but I have picked Ameraucanas and Production Reds. I really want some good egg layers, but because I have a business at home I need chickens that will be friendly around frail and easily startled people, I have had mixed opinions but I feel I am making a good choice based on my own experiences and research I have done. Anyone have advice? Which breed of cockerel is best? Thanks!

I will be transporting them in the back of a pick up truck. I am going to make a box for them but the drive will be approx. 3 hours. They will be about 14 and 17 weeks old. Any ideas to keep them safe and happy?

Would a Barred Rock rooster get along without any Barred Rock hens?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have three Ameraucana hens and we all just love them~~ [​IMG]
    They have such interesting personalities and sweet natures. And who could resist blue/green eggs to show off!! [​IMG]

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have never had Production Reds but we love our Ameracuanas

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Production reds are fantastic layers, but the roos can be mighty fiesty. I'd stick with pullets on those.

5. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Question for mmajw: What are your Barred Rocks like? Mine would get cliquish and pick on the others, also the roo would sometimes ignore the hens that were not Barred Rock. How are yours with other breeds?

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I had a Barred Rock Roo for awhile then shipped him. He would climb on my dogs and pull their ears and chase me.

The hens are that way and pick on others. The pecked one of my Ameracuana hens horribly she is still away from them. They are now trying to peck at another one of my Ameracuanas.

I would not do Barred Rocks again. I am building a coop now and I may give them there own pen away from everyone else so they can only beat on eachother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by