1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucanas and RIRs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stasi, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Stasi

Stasi New Egg

Jul 30, 2008
    Hello Everyone - This year is the first year we have raised chickens. So far so good. We have 4 RIRs and 2 Ameraucanas. I bought them as chicks. I thought I was buying 6 hens, but it turns out one of the RIRs is a roo. Which is fine. He has great personality. (George)Anyway, both of my Ameraucanas are very shy compared to the RIRs. But one in particular seems so standoffish I wonder if it is normal. She never comes up to get food. The RIRs will hop in my lap. She stays under the coop for the most part when I go in the pen while the others run to greet me. So is this normal? Also do different breeds of chickens pick on other breeds? And will my RIR roo breed with the Ameraucanas? Newby questions. Thanks for any insight you can give me. I totally dig my chickens and this website.

2. precipice

precipice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Our RIR is definitely our most outgoing, loud, and aggressive, and our Ameraucana is definitely the quietest and shyest. I noticed the other day that the mypetchicken.com site says this about EEs: "We like to think that the pea comb is linked not only to the blue egg laying gene, but also to the 'sweetness' gene, as well." When I saw that I thought, sounds like ours, all right....

So, sounds like you have pretty normal birds!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine are the opposite. My EE is the bully of the group and very outgoing with people as well. My RIR tends to run away from us unless she thinks we may have a treat and then she only gets close enough to check it out before running back to cover.

4. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    it the same with my EE's has taken quite a longtime to get friendly but they have come around ...now just about all my chickens come up to greet me in the yard except for a couple new ones i purchased at an a uction but they will begin to realize i'm the junkfood god

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by