1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucanas boy/girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by undergroundchickens, Dec 4, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I hatched two Ameraucana from some eggs I purchased and was wondering if I could get some opinions on what sex they are. They are 10 weeks old. They are a bit messy as they love to stick there feet in the water dish, get feed to stick to their feet, dip them again in the water and then eat the wet feed out of the water dish. Strange but fun to watch. I hatched a blue and a black. These are sure hard to tell. Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Ameraucana comb.

[​IMG]

Black Ameraucana comb.

[​IMG]

I also mail ordered a white Ameraucana but I suspect it is an EE as the legs look more green/yellow than gray/blue. Here is a pic of its comb. It is terrified of people so it wiggles really bad so the pic isn't to clear. After watching this birds comb get big and red while it still hasn't gotten a tail or top wing feathers at a younger age than my chicks I have an inkling of hope that maybe my blue chick is a girl as well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    the blues look like girls.
    How old is the other? looks rooish

3. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    The white is supposed to be about the same age as the other two but I suspect it to be a bit younger by about two weeks. I mail ordered it as an older bird so not sure.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The white EE looks like a boy. The top 2 are girls.

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    the AR are pullets the EE is a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by