"Ameraucanas" & brown eggs . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 23, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    So, I got my AM/AR/EE education from BYC'er's after I got my girls from a lady whom I thought was a breeder. Turned out she just gets shipments from hatcheries and then resells. My girls came from xtreme game birds in Texas.
    Well, it thought, so what; I'm not going to show them or breed them and I will get cool green eggs . . . NOT!
    Three of my four bearded "Ameraucanas" lay brown eggs. POO! Only one green egger.
    Just a note of experience for those still shopping.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, now you know who NOT to buy from [​IMG]

BTW, we call our JRT a jack russel terrorist [​IMG] She's a sweetie to us, but give her a pillow or shoes to chew, or if she sees another dog, or the presence of someone who's not "hers" rubs her the wrong way...beware

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Well, my EE lays brownish eggs too, but they are enormous and beautiful, and she lays about 10 days in a row then skips just a day. She is a champ! And darn cute too. LOVE the fuzzy beard!!

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I thought getting brown eggs from the EE's were rare. So many people talk about their colored eggs from their EE's. I have 5 EE's that will be laying in a couple of months. I will let you know how it goes here.

You might want to get a couple of more EE's and add to your flock so you can get more colored eggs. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I got my EE's all from Ideal so far and so far all green eggers [​IMG] Even one lays sky BLUE eggs! Beautiful!

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I got mine from Ideal also. I am suspecting that they are laying brown eggs. I haven't gotten any this week, but for the past 2 weeks I was getting these almost pink-brown eggs that did not match any of my other hens. I only have 3 other hens laying so it is pretty easy to keep up with. They are beautiful eggs and birds, but I was hoping for a green or blue egg. I may still get one yet, I don't think all the EE's are laying yet. They are just now 16 weeks old.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I bought 3 EEs from our local feed shop (they get them from a hatchery). All 3 lay colored eggs - see my avatar.

8. GardienneWings

GardienneWings Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at your EEs - if they have green/olive/slate blue LEGS then they carry the gene for green eggs. If they have yellow or orange legs they don't and will lay pink, tan, brown eggs. You can sort chicks this way too and keep the greenies and sell the yellows :) It sometimes doesn't show up immediately but will by 4-6 weeks old.

I won't swear this is 100% but it seems to be.

Val

9. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    I 'm not sure this is 100% true. I have an EE hen that has green legs and lays a very light brown egg.

10. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My EE with slate eggs lays a brown egg. I was very disappointed, if I wanted brown eggs I would have a different breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by