Ameraucanas in Australia yet??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morri, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Can you purchase Ameraucanas in Australia?? Coz I really like the olive green eggs!! If not are there any other breeds of chicken that lay an egg thats a different colour to the browns and whites?? Thanks

2. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Aracaunas lay blue eggs as well- but I don't know what you have in your country. You sure have lots of birds that we want here!

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Ameraucanas are not, and with current importation rules, will never be here in Australia. However you can get Araucanas that lay blue eggs. mate these to any tinted to brown egg laying birds and you will have green eggs.
    As far as I understand Ameraucanas are required to lay blue eggs, green egg layer would be the crossbreds known as Easter Eggers.
    David

6sablehens likes this.
  5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Exactly right. [​IMG]

6. megcpat

megcpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Montana
    We've got an Araucana thread going if you want to see more of that bird.

7. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    If all you want is olive eggs, you could breed the Araucana (blue layer) with a dark brown layer (Marans, Penedesenca, Welsummer, etc) to get a nice true olive. Easter Eggers (blue + anything) are no guarantee for olive.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks guys for that I will have to go searching for those olive/blue egg layers!! [​IMG] JUst a question to HappyMtn what breeds are here in Oz that you cant get over there??

9. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    All the Australian breeds such as Australian Game, Australian Pit Game, Australian Langshans, Red Anconas, good Light & Coronation Sussex, good Australorps, and the best Barred Rocks in the world to name a few.
    David

10. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    lol ok thanks for that!! MAybe we could start a secret trading scheme?? lol A black chicken market or something!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by