Ameraucana's not hatching and it is day 23

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oldmcdonald56, Apr 12, 2009.

1. oldmcdonald56

oldmcdonald56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Well all of the 4 RIR's hatched, 1 Ameraucana, 5 Barred Rock, one of the Barred Rock pipped and pecked 2/3's of the way around the shell and then expired [​IMG] , there is only one Ameraucana still left in the Bator and it's day 23. I listened with a stethoscope hoping to hear a heartbeat, a peep, or maybe scratching ....but nothing. We even tried to candle to see any movement, but the chick is so large it's hard to detect. How long can they go and still consider to be hatchable?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, if all of the other eggs are done, you are done.

But congratulations on the ones that you got!

My last hatch, they started pipping at the beginning of day 20 and everyone that was going to get out, got out by the end of day 21... and I helped two of them. I did eggtopsies on the remaining 10 eggs. All were fully developed but either got stuck in the shell or drowned.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. oldmcdonald56

oldmcdonald56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks for your reply...not what I wanted to hear... but what I expected.

I had to help one of the Barred Rocks out of the shell, she is almost half of the size of the others. I wasn't too sure if she was going to make it but today is day 3 for her and she is eating and drinking now. Sooo out of 12 we had 10 hatch. Considering this is our first hatch I guess we should be patting ourselves on the backs [​IMG]

Now we have to finish the coop for the girls...build a tractor for the 25 meat birds we just bought. The 10 babies are in the basement in a remodeled plastic tote, and we have 9 more that are about a month old out in the garage in a brooder that we just built.....5 dogs, a cat with reflux, a teenager [​IMG] that is trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life and last but not least our 11 year old animal lover!!! LIFE IS GOOD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by