Ameraucanas & Olive Eggers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sgtmom52, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have some Ameraucanas (7) and Olive Eggers (10) that are now 8 weeks old. I know the spotted ones are OEs as they are Cuckoo Maran/Ameraucana mix. I also know that the 2 splash are Ameraucana and 3 blue and 2 black however I'm not quite sure which ones are the Ameraucanas and OE. A few of them I managed to keep track of during the hatch and band but some of them got mixed up. [​IMG] Is there an easy way to tell the difference. Anybody want to make some guesses on genders too? I need to get some better pictures of them ~ I just moved them into the new coop today and they were a little stirred up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If the olive eggers were bred to a Marans, the offspring would have feathered shanks. Do any of them have feathered shanks?

And so far I see at least 4 roosters. 2 barred (1 back left in 1st photo by the door, 1 front left giving you the stink eye) 1 middle right, can really only see the comb. In the 2nd pic, in the back by the wood, can only see the head.

Compare their combs against each other. The ameraucana pullets will have a narrow comb and the cockerals will have a wider more raised comb with 3 rows visible on the comb.

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Thanks ~ I don't think any of the OE have feathered shanks. I'm pretty sure they were bred cuckoo maran hens to Ameraucana roos.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:They would have feathered shanks if the cuckoo marans was feather-legged, not all of them are [​IMG]

True ameraucanas should have muffs and beards and slate legs. So if any of the ones that you are unsure of do not have all 3 of these traits, they are the OE.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Thanks ~ I'm going to try to get individual pictures of them later if they cooperate! I am going to keep all of the pullets and at least one Ameraucana roo hopefully a blue. The OE roos will be rehomed in a couple of weeks.

6. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I don't mean to butt in, but what is the difference between Olive Eggers and Easter Eggers?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Olive eggers are any blue-egg laying bird crossed to a dark brown egg layer, like a marans or welsummer. The resulting pullets should lay a light to dark olive green colored egg, instead of regular green or blue.

Basically an easter egger that lays an olive green egg [​IMG]

8. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Oh, okay! Thank you!

9. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    It would be hard to let any of them go for me they are nice....I do think both of your splash are pullets... you would have to let us see there egg later......

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, the splashes do look like pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by