Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers

nmerf19

Hatching
Oct 29, 2015
I have 4 month old (17 weeks) chickens I bought from a local feed store. I know that when you buy ameraucanas from a feed store they are usually Easter Eggers but we live in a small farming town which makes me think they might be true. Can someone tell me if they are true ameraucanas or just Easter Eggers?
The black and silver birds have slate legs and the red bird has yellow legs.
The black and silver bird also have a beard but the red one doesn't.
None of them have layed eggs yet so I don't know what color they will lay.
Any help is greatly appreciated

welcome-byc.gif

They're Easter eggers.

Easiest way to tell is by price. If you're paying less than $5 a chick, they're Easter eggers
wink.png

Second is by supplier. I don't know of any true Ameraucana breeders that are going to source chicks to a feed store. And again, they'd be a lot more $$.

The most "correct" way is the color of the bird. Like any breed of animal, there are accepted colors for Ameraucana. Your birds don't meet those colors, so they're not true bred birds.

When you buy, say a Plymouth Rock, you don't just buy a Rock. You buy a barred Rock, or a white Rock, or a partridge Rock, etc. Same with Ameraucana. You buy a Wheaton Ameraucana, or a black Ameraucana, etc.

welcome-byc.gif

They're Easter eggers.

Easiest way to tell is by price. If you're paying less than $5 a chick, they're Easter eggers
wink.png

Second is by supplier. I don't know of any true Ameraucana breeders that are going to source chicks to a feed store. And again, they'd be a lot more $$.

The most "correct" way is the color of the bird. Like any breed of animal, there are accepted colors for Ameraucana. Your birds don't meet those colors, so they're not true bred birds.

When you buy, say a Plymouth Rock, you don't just buy a Rock. You buy a barred Rock, or a white Rock, or a partridge Rock, etc. Same with Ameraucana. You buy a Wheaton Ameraucana, or a black Ameraucana, etc.
X2 on donrae's post.

welcome-byc.gif

They're Easter eggers.

wink.png

x3

Back
Top Bottom