Ameraucanas or EEs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aran, Aug 26, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    Hi guys...i posted the pics in my other post which i will put the link here for. I got three chickens for free from a lady who was leaving town. She told me they were ameraucanas. I have checked out the websites with the standards for ameraucanas and it seems as if the hens have most of the things needed...white skin, slate legs, beards, tufts, eye colour, white soles to their feet etc.

I got in touch with the breeder whom this lady got the birds from and was told that they were from ameraucana stock and not easter eggers. Can you guys tell me what you think? I really dont mind either way as long as i get green /blue eggs, but im curious.

Here is the link to the other thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=120848#p120848

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    EE's. the second one down looks EXACTLY like mine except yours has wider hips and a bigger comb - i guess yours will be laying before mine!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ooooh, i have one that looks like that second one down, too, or rather she will in a couple months. i'm never been clear on the difference between an Ameraucana or an Easter Egger. i'm just hoping for those blue/green eggs, too.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    EE's have green legs and I think ameraucana's have slate colored legs? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    its just a coloring isssue. and muffs... etc

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    They could very well be Ameraucana.

I have raised a bunch of them, & I did not keep the different colors separate, cause I didn't have enough hens that were the same color as the roosters I had. So, I ended up with a lot of different colors. They were still Ameraucana's, only classified as AOV (All other varieties).

The only way you will be able to tell for sure is when they start laying eggs. EE's will lay all different colors of eggs, the Ameraurcana's are supposed to lay blue to blue-green eggs.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by