Ameraucana's or EE's?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tyler2740, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tyler2740

tyler2740 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    small town
    [​IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6392507/width/600/height/450[/IMG]Hey[/URL], i just bought some amreraucana but im not sure if they are true ameraucanas or just ee. They have pea combs, slate colored legs from what i can tell, no waddles, one has no tail feathers. Only one is laying right now and it is a green tinted egg. Pls help me figure out what these are byc

Another question, i guess depending on what these hens truely are, im wanting to hatch babies from these hens. Im wondering if i should just breed my barred rock roo with them or try to get a ameraucana or ee roo and breed with them. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Could be buff or wheaten Amer. To know better you need only answer one? Are the from a breeder or hatchery. Hatchery birds are mixes or EE not true Amer.

Next part, if you want tokeep your floored eggs, you will need an EE too. The male carries the gene for blue eggs. Best wishes.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Neither Buff nor Wheaten. That color there can be best described as pyle, and those legs look green to me. Check the soles - Are they pinkish white or are they yellow? Is there a blue-green tinge on the legs or a blue-pink color?

If you have to ask, chances are, you have EE's though. The one with the missing tail is just missing a tail from it being plucked.

If you want to breed them, any EE could do and still get you colored laying offspring, but even an Ameraucana will still produce EE's.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You can breed the barred rock (BR) to the easter eggers (EE) and the cross will produce white birds and barred/black birds or white birds only. The BR should carry silver so you should not get any females like your EE parents. They should have muffs but it is possible some would not have muffs. The comb is going to be something in between a pea comb and a single comb. It is weird looking. Males and females will have yellow legs or yellow legs with some spotty green in them.

Tim

5. tyler2740

Jul 18, 2011
    small town
    Thanks tim, im going to get a ee roo, im curious what determines the egg color gene, does the roo matter in the egg color?

6. tyler2740

Jul 18, 2011
    small town
    Thanks tim, im going to get a ee roo, im curious what determines the egg color gene, does the roo matter in the egg color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by