1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucanas or mutts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lushland, Feb 27, 2012.

1. lushland

lushland Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    We hatched out 9 chicks on Thursday and Friday. 5 are pure Ameraucanas (from shipped eggs) and 4 are mutts from our own mixed flock. All the chicks are either blue or black and we can't tell which are which. Any ideas?

Chick #1 and #2
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 is an Ameraucana (saw it hatch) and #4. Could they be splash?
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 and #6
    [​IMG]

Chick #7 and #8
    [​IMG]

Chick #9 is a mutt. It has some feathers on its legs.
    [​IMG]

I have individual pictures of the chicks if that would help. Or am I just going to have to wait and see what they turn into? :)

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's hard to tell this early just from pictures, but my guess would be 5, 7, 8, 9 are your mutts. They seem to lack any muffs, or have legs that are just too dark.

They're all super cute though [​IMG]

3. lushland

lushland Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    I thought it would probably be too early to tell. But thanks for your guess! Will their muffs become more pronounced the older they get? And when can you tell what type of comb they have? That would probably help id them.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You'll have to wait until they feather out to more accurately tell.

I'd bet that 4 and 9 are cockerels though.

5. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Yeah, kinda hard to tell at this point. As far as the muffs I've found that many of mine don't get theirs until later and chicks that do have pronounced muffs don't always grow up to have the biggest and best muffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by