Ameraucanas Qs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Oceanseve, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    How is their temperment? The feed store guy told me they can be grouchy, T or F?

I love my orp, thinking about either adding australorps or ameraucanas, WWYD?

A little confused on the colored eggs thing, will they only be one shade if there is no fertilization (that was kinda the impression I got from reading some other posts the x is what influences the shell color, is that right?)

Sorry if these are stupid Q's. I appreciate any help.

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well if the feed store guy said it he is talking about EE's as the only place to get true ameraucana is from a breeder. I know most of the people that post about them say they are very friendly but I have heard of a few that have gotten some that aren't. I don't remember what hatchery they came from [​IMG]
    fertilization has nothing to do with the existing hens egg color, only the resultant offspings color if you hatch any eggs.
    If you get "ameraucana" from a hatchery/feed store(EE's) then you may not get a tinted layer. Some hatcheries are more consistent in their EE's laying a blue/green tinted egg, but again I can't remember which one (some reason I am thinking Meyer)

either australorp or EE? depends what you are looking for.....

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    First of all, there are no stupid questions. Egg color has NOTHING to do with fertilization. Its a genetic thing with the breed. You will usually get blueish/green eggs with the breed and each bird will always give the same color egg irregardless of what it has done or eaten. The shade may change depending how early in the laying cycle it is. The very first eggs ever produced by the bird will usually be darker than the ones right before the bird molts.

Most people have Easter Eggers, which are actually mutts that lay colored eggs and usually are pretty mellow birds. My pure pred Ameraucanas are mellow as well. Any breed can have aggressive birds in it though, as I have buff orpingtons that would gang up and kill other birds who looked different.

4. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Well he orders them from Ideal, are they really ameraucanas?

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:No they aren't Ameraucanas [​IMG]

6. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    [​IMG] Thanks [​IMG] Isn't that false advertising?? So EE are just a mutt that lays eggs that are any color (mostly blue/green, but not guaranteed) right?

I need breeds that are friendly and prefer if they lay at least as good as my orp did during the fall (4 a week) Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well depending on where you are, there could be an ameraucana breeder near you. Mine are my favorites, the friendliest of all my chickens. I dont' know about laying capabilities yet as they still aren't laying at 6 mo (maybe that says something about their laying abilities [​IMG] )

eta-I have some australorp/andalusian crosses and they don't let me near them, even though they were handled more than any of my other chickens and were hatched by us [​IMG] , the ameraucana weren't handled nearly as much and follow us around outside

and yes, I do believe it is false advertising (jmo)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Do a "Search" on here for "Ameraucanas" or even me as an Author and you'll find a lot of posts that go into this topic in great detail.

God Bless,

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I find my EEs and true Ameraucanas both to be very sweet, calm birds. Three of the Ameraucanas beg to be picked up and held. I know that Ideal has EEs since the local feedstore sells them all during the year and I've seen numerous shipments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by