1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucanas? Roosters or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Englewood, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I have 3 ten week old chicks that I was told were Ameraucanas. They came from a 4H program for kids to hatch out in my dad's science class. I think that the gold one is a rooster and the other two are hens, but I'm not sure. I want to know your opinions about the breed, colors, and sex of these birds. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I can't 100% tell, but all my ladies had tiny, pinkish -yellow pea combs until well after 20 weeks. I would think if they are already getting bumpy and red at 10 weeks, they are roos.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    They look like girls to me Congrats! Also they are not Amercacaunas they are EE's. They still have the ability to lay Blue and Green eggs. The great thing about EEs is they are so colorful and normally have great personalities. You have a great variety!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They look like girls to me too. Mine is a girl and she has the same comb as yours.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    [​IMG] oooooooooo pretty

If I swear up and down that the white one is a rooster, would you send it to me? [​IMG]

If you arn't willing, then they all look like pullets to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

I have an EE roo, I want to get rid of...I have two actually, here is the white one...at about 8 weeks ( I believe he is mixed with a silkie)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by