1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana's vs. Welsummers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shanehudd, Jan 25, 2015.

1. shanehudd

shanehudd New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    I'm getting four hens this spring and I'm wondering which breed is the friendliest? They wouldn't be living with a couple of pigeons and I want friendly chickens that are good egg layers and make good pets.

2. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I had an ameraucana in with a plymouth barred rock and a buff orp. She was absolutely lovely with people. Definitely my favorite of the three ladies, but unfortunately she started attacking my orp at about a year old. We tried a few things to resolve the issue but ended up sending her to a friend's farm for fear that she would kill poor Ethyl. I do know that "pecking order" issues are to be expected, but this was something I couldn't work through with such a small flock. I'm not certain if it is an ameraucana thing or if my situation was unique. I hope you get more responses to help! I really did love her. She used to fall asleep in my arms. Good luck.

3. shanehudd

shanehudd New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Ok thank you for your advice. I hope I get more input as well. I'm sorry she didn't work out for you.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Neither of these breeds would top my list for the two characteristics you have listed as important to you. When you say "good egg layer", how many eggs, per week, do you wish to get from each bird? With regards to living with the pigeons, what sort of set up is it you intend to keep the birds in?

5. shanehudd

shanehudd New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    I'm looking for a couple chickens more for pets. Friendlier the better. And getting eggs would be a plus but not overly important. My coop is 4' x 6' x 7', with a 4' x 12' all in closed run.

6. shanehudd

shanehudd New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I have Ameraucanas and they are extremely sweet. Very curious and outgoing. If you get them as chicks and handle them frequently, they turn out very friendly. They did go thru a bit if a flighty stage in their 'teenage' time, but settled back down once they got to about 3 months old. Now they follow me everywhere and are insatiably curious. I have no experience with Welsummer yet, just hatched 3 chicks tho, lol.

8. shanehudd

shanehudd New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    I've done a ton of research and both breeds seem to be good. Personally I like how the Welsummers look. The Ameraucana's are cute but funny looking. I had RIR's before and they were great layer's but dumb and clumsy and mean to my other birds.

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. Good luck with them! :)

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Ol Grey Mare. I've had both breeds, and based on my experience and your criteria I think Black Australorps would be a better choice. BAs are calmer and more gentle than either of those two breeds (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are better layers than either Ameraucanas or Welsummers (2 eggs per hen per week better). However, I have to admit that the chocolate eggs of the Welsummers are the prettiest in the chicken world. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by