Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jea918, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jea918

Jea918 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    I've read a lot of about people saying that they have ameraucanas, but they're really easter eggers. Is there a way to tell a difference?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Several ways. The most obvious is color. Easter Eggers will come in all sorts of colors, none of them being real, accepted varieties. Ameraucanas will always be sold prefixed with a variety, e.g. a "Wheaten" Ameraucana or a "Blue" Ameraucana.

Ameraucanas will always have a pea comb, slate legs, a beard and ear muffs. and lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers will generally have a pea comb, slate legs, a beard and ear muffs, and lay blue or green eggs. About 20% will lack one or more of these traits.

Ameraucanas are much more expensive than Easter Eggers - Ameraucanas cost $10-$30 for chicks and $50+ for adult pullets or hens, whereas Easter Eggers will be $3-$6 as chicks and $20-$30 for adult pullets or hens.

Ameraucanas will almost always come from breeders whereas Easter Eggers will be found at common feed stores and the like.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Queen Misha speaks the truth

4. Jea918

Jea918 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    I have one that is a beautiful smokey grey with those traits and one that is a brown, tan, black mix with those traits. Of course at the feed store they were labeled ameraucanas, but I figured only time would tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by