Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
What is required to make a chicken an Ameraucana and not an Easter Egger? For a great deal from a local breeder I got a mix of green and blue egg layer hatching eggs, but I wouldn't get to know what breeds they were.
About 9 months later I have Super Blues and Easter Eggers, but one of them I think may be a pure Ameraucana. The breeder does breed Ameraucanas so there is a chance, but I don't know the difference between Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas, I know they have to have a beard and muffs and can only be certain colors, but that's as far as my breed knowledge reaches.

I realize I worded this thread horribly. My apologies. I want to know how to tell them apart myself, not by just posting pictures and having other people say this or that. I want to learn how to do that myself. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining my thoughts.

Last edited:

Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
Don’t know if you can see her muffs and beard, but this girl is a true black Ameraucana.
She is beautiful. Quite cute with her little ones. Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it! Let me look back on my phone, I think I may have one from when he was a little guy, but I'm not sure I have one of his leg color. Is there such a thing as gray legs? I'm not sure his are blue, I think they may be more of a gray color.

Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
Screenshot_20180913-173509.png

For goodness sakes I do have a picture from when I had listed him for sale last year. He looks a little different now, his posture changed and his feathers make it appear he is wearing a cape, but otherwise is the same.

FowlStuff

Songster
Jan 12, 2016
Michigan
True Ameraucanas have:
slate legs/feet
White feet bottoms
Muffs/beard
A pea comb
Are always a recognized color
Lay blue eggs. No exceptions
They don't have to be an APA/ABA recognized variety to be an Ameraucana.
What is an Ameraucana Chicken?

A chicken is an Ameraucana when it meets the American Poultry Association’s (APA) Standard Ameraucana breed description and meets a variety (color) description or breeds true at least 50% of the time, whether the variety is recognized or not. There are actually two breeds of Ameraucana: bantam and large fowl.

Top Bottom