Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tyandmacsmom, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    My Ameraucanas are about 7 weeks now, and I'm confused as to what I have. There are a couple of them that I think are definitely roosters, but the others I'm questioning. Can you help me out? Thanks!!

This is Tonka, one I'm pretty certain is a roo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonka with another baby, I think is a pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two girls?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another girl?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was told these are Lavender from the Shaffer line, they definitely have white bottoms on their feet and black legs. Also, does a pink comb on these guys mean rooster necessarily?

Thanks!

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Tonka looks like the only boy in that bunch! Congrats! They are nice looking lavenders. Am hoping to ad some lavenders from Blehm lines to my flock next year. As for pink combs it depends on the bloodline i have noticed, some lines both roos and pullets have pink combs early(my whitmore farms blacks are like that) but the roos are like your tonka and have the multiple rows of peas while the hens just have 1 small little row.

3. Tyandmacsmom

Jun 28, 2011
    Phew, I hope so! I live in the country, so technically as long as they aren't fighting I can keep as many roosters as I want to. But it looks like Lavenders can be hard to come by, so I got really lucky I think with them. [​IMG] I really want to be able to hatch some next year, they are SO cute when they are little. Right now I think they are kind of in ugly duckling phase.

4. cluck shmucks

cluck shmucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Well, I don't know that I'm much help, because I'm pretty new to chickens, but my guess would be girls. This is my 7 1/2 week old Lavender Bantam Amerecauna Roo "Bizzle". He has been pretty obvious from the time we got him, at 5 days old. Oddly... He had a comb from the get-go, and it turned pink very early on, probably about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He is also a BUSY BODY, very social, talkative, and extremely entertaining! We also have a few brahmas, and while all of them are girls, I have noticed that all 3 have different combs. Our buff has the classic Pea comb that she is supposed to, our Dark has a small pointy, single ridge, and our light has a large, longer, pointy ridge (the jury is still out, but coming around to the verdict that she is, in fact, a girl). I'm not sure that such a wide variation in combs is normal within same-sex, same breed chickens, but, well... I'm not sure what to say about that. They are definitely girls, and Bizzle is definitely a boy. Unfortunately I do not have any other Lav. Amerecaunas to compare him to, but looking at your pictures, they look a lot different in the comb department. I also don't know if the difference between banties and standard size would be great, as far as sexing them and combs and such... Maybe someone else has a better idea? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tyandmacsmom

Jun 28, 2011
    What a cute boy you have! My Ameraucanas seem to be growing really slowly. The lady I got them from told me they are slow to feather, etc., but your comb on your little Roo is by far bigger than Tonka, who I've been convinced is a boy since we got him. (We had them in with silkies, and he is the only one in the bunch that would go right into the center of their "gathering" and pick at their toes, etc.)

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:Not sure what your chick is but he doesn't look like an ameraucana. Esspecially with that single comb. Single combs pink up and get larger much faster then peacombs in any case.

7. cluck shmucks

cluck shmucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    See, I didn't even know they were supposed to have a Pea comb, I guess looking at your pictures, those certainly are pea combs! .I don't know anything about all the different breeds, and when I bought my guy it was on a whim, I was going to pick out Silkies. [​IMG] But I was told he was a Lavender Bantam Ameraucana--and whatever he is, his parents look alike, and like him. And they all look just like several of the images I have found online of LBAs (though the standard size do seem to have a slightly different look to them) . Could the difference between being standard size, and being Bantam have anything to do with the difference in combs? (And, I don't think it's a single comb persay, it's kinda weird, at the back part it is split in two, almost like a crown, but only for about two points worth, then the rest is single). I just assumed it was because he was a roo and that was why it didn't look like the others. Now I'm questioning my brahmas as well! One is definitely by the book, but the other two do not have pea combs, so I dunno... Hopefully my standard size, Rosie, is a true Ameraucana, I want colorful eggs! [​IMG] At any rate, I"m babbling. I guess I am no help in guessing the sex of your chicks, since apparently my guy is not a "real" Ameraucana! But I will say they all have very sweet faces--my guy has a slightly devilish look to him... lol

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    To the OP: The first one looks like a cockerel and the other 2 look like pullets.

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

cockrel on left
    pullet on right

I think you are right in your estimations.

10. LindaKatheryn

LindaKatheryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    I was wondering what Lavender Ameraucanas look like...yours are gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by