Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by janchilds, Dec 3, 2011.

1. janchilds

janchilds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Is there a difference between blue and lavender Ameraucanas? It looks like the assoc only recognizes blue... So is lavender something new or just another name for blue?

Thanks!
    Janet

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

lavander is differnt than blue. but it is not recognized

3. janchilds

janchilds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    Virginia
    So if you breed a blue to a lavendar... you get 50% / 50% ?

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:No you don't want to breed those two colors together and Lav is still somewhat in the project stage.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:No you don't want to breed those two colors together and Lav is still somewhat in the project stage.

Why not? They use black.

No, you will get 50% blue birds and 50% black birds. These offspring will be "Splits" or "Split lavenders". Breeding them together will produce some lavenders, some BBS - you will also get lav when breeding splits to lavs.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    But you can't breed blue to lav. It dilutes and add and takes way to long to breed out the wrong traits. Black helps hold in the color. You'll get BBS, black, blue, splash chicks. You can breed these back to get the color you are trying to develop and hold onto.

Visit the AM threads and you'll see how the genes work. You breed those colors together, you're basically breeding EEs.

Sorry been working on a coop all day and can't think straight. I'm better at the birds than the coops. LOL

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

Why not? They use black.

No, you will get 50% blue birds and 50% black birds. These offspring will be "Splits" or "Split lavenders". Breeding them together will produce some lavenders, some BBS - you will also get lav when breeding splits to lavs.

8. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Well I wouldn't call them EE. They can breed together without mixing, EE is a general term meaning it has some Ameraucana blood in it, not meaning a cross... As in color. Some crosses like wheaten and black produce mixed colors but it is still an Ameraucana.

9. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Lavs are not yet accepted, but hopefully they will be soon. We all were hoping they'd be accepted this year [​IMG]

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL

Why not? They use black.

Because both the blue and the lavender genes dilute black pigment. The blue gene dilutes all black pigment in a black bird to a grey color (the shade can vary). The lavender gene dilutes all black pigment in a black bird to the lavender color (which is a uniform shade of grey). Also, lavender is a simple recessive, if you have two copies of the lavender gene you have a lavender bird. If you only have one, you have a black bird. Blue is not a simple recessive, if you have two copies of blue you have a splash bird, if you only have one copy you have a blue bird. If you cross blue and lavender birds, you will end up with a muddy genetic mess that will take years to work out. Using black works because it is the "base" color so to speak and you don't have to worry about colors leaking.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by