Ameraucana's

I can't help cause my only americauna hen doesn't lay
somad.gif
. But IMO why would so many ppl have them if they are bad layers?

The only one I have that is laying age is a fantastic layer. I get an egg from her most every day and have ever since she began laying a year ago. Mine is a Blue Ameraucana out of Cree lines (on one side of the family)

My Ameraucana hens are wonderful layers. They rarely miss a day!

Some lines may be "lazier" than others. Often times someone breeding for show/to standard might have to work on other things first--color (of the actual bird), egg color, etc.--and in those cases, productivity might have had to be put on the back burner, so to speak.

An "Ameraucana" from a hatchery (not really an Ameraucana; an Easter Egger) will often be a better layer because it is not a true Ameraucana, it is a cross, usually with a production-type bird. Because these guys are mixes of birds that carry a colored egg gene and another, more high-production type bird, I could see where they might in some instances be better layers than a true Ameraucana bought from a breeder.

It is getting pretty warm to ship eggs now, so if you do find a breeder who has hens laying well they might not want to ship for fear of prematurely baking the eggs en route! Have you contacted Pips&Peeps from this board? She's out in WA state and does sell hatching eggs. She has very nice birds--I just hatched some gorgeous blue and black chicks from her a few weeks ago!
big_smile.png

I see you are in Texas--have you tried contacting Paul Smith?? He is a breeder of very nice, show quality Ameraucanas. Maybe if it's too warm to ship eggs, you could pick up live birds? Of course, that would depend on if you're close enough to them and if they have any birds available...but just a thought. You can get his contact info from the Ameraucana breeder's club web site: www.ameraucana.org

Oh, and I totally understand bitter and impatient.
wink.png
That's what made me drive 7 1/2 hours each way (in one day) to pick up my first trio of Marans. I had to have them, I had to have quality, and I had to have them NOW!!
lol.png
No one could understand why I couldn't find "just chickens" anywhere closer. Most people blamed it on pregnancy hormones (I was 7 months pregnant). A chicken lover's version of pickles and ice cream, I suppose!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom