Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beccaabug, Jan 19, 2014.

1. beccaabug

beccaabug New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    We have two ameraucanas and they started laying a couple months ago. Do they lay colored eggs right away? There eggs are almost white.
    thanks

2. Chickensx5

Chickensx5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    We got our very first egg from our Americana yesterday and it was green I've heard they lay color right away and they always lay the same color it doesn't change.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You may see a bit of change in color in your girl's eggs, depending on how long they have stayed in the reproductive system where the color is applied. Also, the eggs get a bit lighter as they progress through their laying cycle. One thing not likely to change much is the shape of the egg. One of my girls always lays a long skinny torpedo shaped egg. I don't expect that to change, though the overall color changes a bit from day to day. Kind of like the variation in colors that are very close together in a series of paint chips.

4. Chickensx5

Chickensx5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a question I have an Americana hen she just started laying on Saturday. When she lays she is so loud!! Really really loud is that normal for the Americana breed? I was thinking because she just started laying she not used to it but she is extremely loud and acts weird. Thanks for your info. She lays a green egg!

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Her noise level may decrease a bit as she gets older. She's just proud of her accomplishment, and wants the whole world to share her joy!

6. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    From my research, not all Ameraucanas are guaranteed to lay colored eggs. You won't be able to judge whether the eggs are going to be colored for the first few though, the color may come once they are more accustomed to laying eggs.

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I guess it's ironic that hatchery EEs, without exception, lay blue/green eggs.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    ALL Ameraucanas will lay a blue egg. If they don't, they aren't Ameraucanas.

Many hatcheries claim to sell Ameraucanas or Araucanas, but they are really selling Easter Eggers or EEs. EEs are birds that carry the blue egg gene, nothing more, nothing less. They are not a "breed," they are a mixed breed or mutt.

Because of their mixed ancestry, Easter Eggers most often lay green eggs but can lay blue or any other color of eggs. I don't really thing a brown-egg laying EE is really an EE, though--the ONLY criterion for being an EE is having a blue egg gene, and a bird that lays white or brown eggs is missing this gene.

I would say that all of the folks who wrote in this thread about their hens actually have EEs. It is EXTREMELY common for people to be misled by hatcheries. Luckily, EEs are wonderful birds and you'll like them very much. Mine lay prettier eggs than my true Ameraucanas by far.

For more information: www.ameraucana.org

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I love my EE and one of them has been a reliable layer through the winter, not so the RIR or BSL! I won't have a flock without a few EE. And after reading a number of threads re: EE vs. Ameraucana, I'd choose EE over Ameraucana any day of the week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by