Ameraucauna or EE Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jphendrix, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I got these cute little babies at TSC yesterday. They said these were Ameraucauna, but others have said they are probably EE. Could anyone tell me what they think they are. I have never had either kind of these birds so I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    EE. It would be very very rare to find ameraucanas at a feed store/hatchery.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I agree, true Ameraucana are very rare , those chicks are EE.

4. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Here is a link that will clear up some confusion regarding Ameraucana/Araucana/Easter Eggers. Those chicks are way too cute..Think I am going to die from cuteness overload. Lol! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html
    Those chicks should make some super nice additions to your family especially if you spend a bit of time with them everyday when they are young like that. They will stay nice and tame for you for the most part when they get older. Of course there is always the odd crazy chicken that will hate being near people no matter what.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter eggers. They'll still give you pretty colored eggs, and that's all most folks really want when they buy "Ameriucanas".

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    All are easter eggers

7. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thanks Ya'll! I'm gonna try to hatch some out next year! I am hoping that one is a rooster.

8. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    True Ameracaunas always have slate colored (dark grey) legs and feet, even the bottom of their feet. Some other breeds have that also, so it's not the sole trait, but I can see in the pics that they have yellow feet, so they would be properly identified as easter eggers.

They "Ameracaunas" sold by commercial hatcheries (and by extension, TSC, because where else can they get the quantities they need), are bred to produce a lot of blue and green (and sometimes other color) eggs. That's what most people want, so it works. There are people looking for true ameracaunas, or a consistently blue egg, and they must look a lot harder, because as mentioned, the purebred ameracaunas are much rarer than the EE's.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The bottoms of ameraucanas feet are white. An just look on the Ameraucana breeders website o find true AMs www.ameraucana.org

10. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thank ya'll so much! I was hoping they where Ameraucana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by