ameraucauna pullet (i hope) or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blackbirds13, Jun 29, 2010.

1. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have an Ameraucauna that I think may be a rooster. I have 2 - 1 pretty brown one (wheaton?) and a beautiful white or silver one. I'm starting to wonder about the silver one. The comb is definetly bigger, wider and much more pronounced. Her tail feathers are curved and not straight up as 45 degrees like my other girls. She even seems bigger than the other of the same age, the legs look a bit thicker. I think she's so beautiful and she is so friendly and eats out of your hand lets you pet her and even pick her up at times. My husband is dead set against a rooster. I've been trying to coax him. Can anyone tell? I think there's about 12+ weeks and bought them as pullets. My Plymouth and Barred Rock I got from the same breeder and they solid girls. I have 2 NH reds that i just picked up and hoping that they are gonna turn out females all around. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a close up that is a bit blurry but they don't stay still too long
    [​IMG]

these are the two of them so you can see the difference in tails
    [​IMG]

i know I'll find out sooner or later. I'm just starting to feel so disappointed...

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    That's not much of a comb, and hens can have lovely tails I vote for hen.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Both of your birds are pretty Easter Eggers, neither are a recognized Ameraucana variety.
    Your white bird appears to be a roo.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The white one is a very pretty roo.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, a lovely Easter Egger roo. You can see the pointed hackle and saddle feathers coming in.

6. blackbirds13

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Both of your birds are pretty Easter Eggers, neither are a recognized Ameraucana variety.
    Your white bird appears to be a roo.

Well...this could be disappointing on more than one front but I think she is just such a pretty girl...will be a gorgeous guy also. I will keep watching her or him...maybe post some pics as he/she/it matures. Will have to have her really grow on my husband just in case she is a he.​

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

8. blackbirds13

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

He crowed this morning for the first time ever...sure did surprise my husband as he was outside with the dogs. Heard him myself - not the full blast my hubby heard. So she is a he. Looks like he's safe here - Husband thinks he's the prettiest bird we've got - also eating outta his hand helps.

Thanks for all the responses...but i guess if you've gotta ask you probably already know the answer. Will have to try for a few more female EE's or perhaps a few 'real' Ameraucaunas. Not really disappointed at all.

9. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Obviously you got your answer on this one, just wanted to add that i'm pretty sure that color pattern is always roo for EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by