Ameraucauna pullet with unhealthy-looking comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beach babies, Jul 21, 2011.

1. beach babies

beach babies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    excuse my utter newbie-ness, this may be nothing at all, but my instinct is to be concerned.

we have 6 pullets (8.5 weeks old), 2 of which are ameraucaunas. Buttercup has a comb that looks plump and healthy, pinkish. but Twilight's comb looks sort of flat and grayish, just not healthy looking. are there variations in comb color even among chickens of the same breed and age? they all came from the same place, bought at 1 day old, are all eating appropraite commercial feed and chick scratch, drinking clean water. for treats, i feed them fresh zucchini and strawberries from our organic garden and dandelion greens (also no pesticides), and the occasional worm from our compost.

and i don't know if this is relevant, but Twilight is the top chicken in the flock. she does not seem to be lethargic or in pain, she's a pretty feisty girl.

they are outside in an enclosed run and have a nice little coop with pine shavings and hay on the floor.

i have photos but have never posted one here before, let me see if i can do it. NOTE: can someone help me post a photo? i couldn;t figure it out.

any help anyone can offer is much appreciated. we just love these guys!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. beach babies

Jun 9, 2011
    i think i have the images sorted...

This one is Buttercup, our other Ameracuana, the one whose comb looks healthy to me:
    [​IMG]

this one is Twilight, our Ameraucauna with the possible comb problem
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Seems the first one could be a cockerel, the one with the pink comb. That may be why the other one has less color--that one is a girl and has the flatter, less colorful comb associated with a pullet of that age. [​IMG] At less than 9 weeks old, that red comb indicates a male to me. In any case, I don't see anything wrong with either comb.

4. beach babies

Jun 9, 2011
    thanks speckled hen. we'd be broken hearted if one of our "hens" turned out to be a roo. we'd have to give him away, so i hope that's not the case.

anyone else have opinions?

another photo, see it's a bit dryish??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by