American and UK OEGB

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    American OEGB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UK OEGB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what I was wondering is, is the difference between the American and UK just basically what bird was breed into them? I ask this because clearly in the UK one you can see what looks like a Aseel or Malayoid kinda thing in it.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I think so - what was breed into them OR just the style of chicken pleasing one Country more than the other - so those characteristics are used for breeding and those not desired are culled from the breeding progra,.

Look at the difference in the APA Orpington and the UK Orpington - just a matter of Country preference.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think the difference here is that the UK ones were based on the "pit" type fowl. If you look up Australian Pit Games for example, they're quite similar. They're certainly not like Asils and Malays though, as both UK Games and Aussie pits have a much thinner head, legs, and more bantam-like face. Also, I believe Aussie pits are small, too, almost like Bantams. Not saying Aussies are the related fowl, but they're pretty close, as with many other lesser known gamefowl not available in the US.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by