American Blue gander in Mid Michigan

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by vicki2x2, Dec 18, 2009.

1. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Hatched this spring out of Holderread stock, related to the American Buffs, these are gorgeous blue versions. This is a very nice boy, I just have too many ganders. Prefer pick up. This is not an actual picture of him, it was taken last fall of one of his parents, but he is almost identical.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ugh!! I still haven't figured out what sex mine is [​IMG] I think it's a girl, but I'm not sure. Have you noticed any difference in their sounds? I have one american blue and one embden. If I were to go by their sounds, I think I have one of each sex. The blue is very laid back and quiet, the embden is very loud and a bit aggressive. I'm thinking the blue is a girl, but I just don't know! [​IMG]

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Usually the deeper honk is a female, but with different breeds it might be harder to tell. Have you tried flipping her/him over and vent sexing? Might be worth a try. Should be mature enough that it is not too difficult, especially if they are different sexes and you can compare.

Forgot to say, ganders usually stretch their neck out you and posture, more so females, even if not being really aggressive. Does either one do that, stretch their neck out low and honk at you?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The embden does stretch its neck out at me, and also tries to 'protect' me from everything in the yard that makes noise (including my son [​IMG]); the blue doesn't do the neck thing at all.

I did try vent sexing when the blue hatched, but didn't with the embden. I didn't see anything that looked 'male' with the blue, but it was also the first time I'd ever done it, so who's to say I did it right? [​IMG]

The blue kind of 'chatters' at me, not really honking, just a lot of 'talk'. I call it 'Weep weep', cause since it was a baby, that's basically the sound it makes [​IMG]

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Chances are you have them sexed right then, the embden sounds like a male and the blue sounds like a female. It is really hard to vent sex them as babies, much easier when they mature.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Now I just need to find someone traveling from MI that wants to transport a gander! [​IMG] Good luck with that! [​IMG]

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] I had a friend pick up a gander last year in North Carolina!! I was in need of a Buff gander, found two, one in Missouri, one in North Carolina. Found out she was going to visit her brother. Turns out, she was within a half hour of the gander. She was so sweet to bring him back for me!! Of course, she is an animal person, mostly rabbits, but she does have chickens, and has had turkeys and ducks before. [​IMG]

I know someone moving to TN in june and I think her friend is moving on Dec 28, they bought a house together. My guess is they are pretty packed already though!!

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Probably Crystal, I hadn't thought of her. But I think she's moving to the west side of TN. idk, I'll have to sweet talk her lol [​IMG]

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Yep, yep, yep!! [​IMG] Ask her if she has room for a goose in her trunk?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by